Monday, March 5, 2012

Podcasting

I have subscribed to a few podcasts and have enjoyed listening to them. I have subscribed to The Story Home Childrens Audio Stories, Math Dude, Stuff You Missed in History Class, Teaching with Smartboard and TedTalks.

Ive found them all to be interesting and would really like to have the ability to listen to them in my car. I was really interested in a Ted Talk that was based on introverts and extroverts. The speaker said that most situations anymore are designed mainly for extroverts, rather than introverts.

I am an extrovert and so I did find some of these comments to be offensive because she talked a lot about how introverts are typically smarter, get better grades, are more creative. Although some of this seemed offensive to hear, I do think it is good for me to hear that there needs to be more of a balance.

As a teacher, I set up my classroom in pods or groups. I encourage teamwork and create collaborative activities for my students to complete together. I think that it is important for students to be able to work with/get along with peers. They wont only work others in school, they will grow up and they will need to know how to work with others. This speaker challenged teachers for teaching to the extrovert and I realized that I am the teacher that teaches to extroverts. Although it did get me thinking about how maybe I need to pay more attention to what an introverts learning needs may be, but I do still think its important to teach students how to work together and interact with one another.

I think that these podcasts will offer a lot of advice and insight.

No comments:

Post a Comment