Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Digital Storytelling

I will admit, digital storytelling, using imovie is not my favorite project. I always seem to struggle in atleast one area and somehow allow myself to get frustrated. I do however need to say that this time using imovie was a much better experience than the last time I tried it. Once everything is put together, it really does turn out to be a brilliant way to tell a story. Children would absolutely love to be able to put their voice and music to pictures or video. Especially when you compare it to writing their story on a blank sheet of paper and drawing a picture to illustrate it. It is a challenge, and everytime you think you might be finished, you find another feature that will add more to your video.
Yesterday I attempted to get into garageband and create my own music for my video. I didn't know how to use the program properly and so it was only about 1 min. before I decided that music was overrated and my movie didn't necessarily need it! Today after being taught how to properly use the program, I was so excited to use it! I went from thinking that I completely had to make my own music from scratch (which I am really not capable of doing), to realizing that there were several selections of music to choose from! I'm very excited to see some of my classmate's videos when they are finished! I think there are a lot of great stories that I am excited to hear/see!

3 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful part of technology in the classroom. If students don't know how to use the technology then they will shy away from it and shy away from experimenting. You learned that kind of the hard way but after you knew how to use the tools then you were excited to experiment and test out new features and techniques. I especially like the just-in-time instruction. The information got to you just in time so that you didn't have to settle but rather excel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that digital storytelling is a great project to be done in order to lead kids to practice their ways of reconstructing ideas or stories given to them. It also provides opportunities for them to be familiar with advanced technologies. Since we are livig in the digital world nowadays, their experience with the project would elicit their interests and engagements in the future projects which accompay technological skills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for being a risk-taker -- you tried something and pushed yourself. Great job!

    ReplyDelete