Friday, June 5, 2009

IPTV

http://www.iptv.org

Today we had a guest speaker come in and inform us about all of the opportunities we have through Iowa Public Televisions website.  I visited the website yesterday and found a few things on my own, but I had no idea about all of the access there is at that website!  
There is a separate section on many of the pages for teacher and parent links.  As a teacher, I will be able to access several lesson plans grouped by age and subject that were written by teachers.  When I figure out which programs I will be using, I can share this information with guardians. If the family has access to a computer, the guardians will be able to work with their child at home.
Some of the educational television programs that we focused on included: Martha Speaks, Word World, Sid the Science Kid, and The Electric Company.  All of these programs seemed extremely educational as well as entertaining.  As we all know, it's difficult to take 30 min. out of our day for a video.  There are options for short clips which will allow you to work on an individual skill and then several activities and extensions to go along with these clips.  
I never knew that there were so many great activities, videos, lesson planning materials, etc. at one website!  I still need to explore the website a little bit more to really find everything and know how to access all of the links when it comes time to use them, but I am extremely excited to continue this search!

2 comments:

  1. I agree that this website has a lot to offer. However, I think your last paragraph made an excellent point about how you'll need to explore the website. I find it to be very busy and had I not had a speaker I think I would feel very overwhelmed. Along these lines, without someone specifically introducing me to the iptv website I would never be able to take full advantage of it. Luckily we were introduced to it and I think in the future I would love to take advantage of her for my colleagues. She said she could do in-services or come talk with small groups- we should all do this in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many resources for us in the classroom. I think it is a matter of going through it and finding what works best for you and your curriculum.

    ReplyDelete